A lot of people will tell you that they like travelling. It may be though, that if they have a lot of money, they can afford to fly in first class to perfectly safe, tourist orientated resorts around the world where they luxuriate at a hotel or on the beach for a week or two and then they go back to their high-paying job. It is certainly true that these people can boast to have visited all sorts of countries, but they do not really see the world. They see refined simulacra of how life is lived in other places. One of the greatest pleasures of exploring the world is becoming immersed in the cultures, traditions, and celebrations of people all over the world. Many people will be happy to share their perspective on the way that life should be lived. It is this sort of travelling that broadens the mind and helps you open your heart to everyone. While a luxurious, elite resort may be indulgent and relaxing for a few days, it is nothing compared with really experiencing life and embracing the beauty and diversity of humanity. With that in mind, here are four things that you should do at one time or another while you are exploring the world:
- While sipping a cocktail beside a pool and then retreating to your opulent suite for an afternoon siesta may sound like a complete waste of money, there is something to be said for living in luxury every once in awhile. Besides, the worst part about travelling the world is the actual process of travelling: flying with commercial airlines. While the recent United controversy was a rare occurrence, the fact remains that planes are often delayed or cancelled, not to mention stressful. Instead, why not charter a private jet? It may be expensive, but for a once in a lifetime experience, there is nothing quite like it.
- There is so much fascinating and perhaps unusual cuisine around the world that if you do not try it while you have the chance, you may not get another one. Why not try snake’s blood in Vietnam or decomposing shark meat in Iceland? If nothing else, you will have a cool story to tell your friends when you get back.
- One of the difficult things about travelling in big cities is that there is so much to see, but unless you have someone who knows their way around, you will miss out since your only chance is happening upon something by accident. That is why you need to live like the locals. That means going to bars where they drink and see where the night takes you. Besides, you can make new friends at the same time too.
While passing through a place for a few days or a few weeks may give you an impression of how life is there, it simply does not compare living in that place. Why not find a place that you love and settle down there for a few years? Finding a job teaching English is not that hard (although it helps if you study a TEFL course first) and when you want to start travelling again, you can.
Latest posts by Rory (see all)
- Why everyone should take up hiking! - 22nd August 2017
- Beyond the Jersey Shore: four reasons to take a trip to New Jersey ASAP! - 21st August 2017
- Sacramento: California’s overlooked jewel - 18th August 2017